Monday, June 20, 2011

Just because..

Happy Monday!!! I wanted to share this letter with you all from a woman that was diagnosed with breast cancer. This woman, like myself, was diagnosed with triple negative breast cancer and now two years later is cancer free. I relate to her words so much and feel like they could be my own. Happy Monday to you all!!! Much love!

Dear Cancer,

You came into my life a few months ago and caused me great pain. My heart was broken when I heard you were attempting to take my life. Many tears were shed and many screams into the nearest pillow I could find. To rid your disease my body was cut, poked and run down. I did not understand why you chose me. You caused extreme fear and worry for those that love me. You created a world for me that I did not want to be in. Your goal is death, but I would fight you hard. How can you stand the thought of taking a mother away from her two small children and leave her husband alone? Did you think I would allow this to happen? You made me sick and very tired and some days I could not sleep. You kept me up thinking what if..... You took away precious time from my children and family, time I cannot get back. You left my family helpless to watch me endure your motives. My mom and dad couldn't even fix this, they used to be able to fix everything. You took my sense of security of health and my hair. Most of all, you scared my children and I hated you for that. But not anymore.


It took some time, but I realized you are not in control. I am in control of how I remedy and handle what you have attempted to do to me. Although you are not a person, you are capable of doing what some people do to each other every day. I want to call you evil, but evil you are not. You taught me many things on this journey. Things I never knew before. You woke up my senses. Made me more appreciative for life and family. You allowed me to meet new friends to last a lifetime and build stronger friendships with those already my friends. Helped me see what true friends are all about. You made me humble. You showed me how loving and caring complete strangers can be. You made me realize how precious life is, and really how short it is. You taught me to not sweat the small stuff, there is always a bigger fish to fry. You made me want to get to know God, and place my faith in him. You are helping me be a better and a healthier person. You taught me patience and endurance. You made me want to help other women also embedded with your disease. You made me stronger, I can do anything now. You made me realize life can change in an instant, step back and enjoy the moment. You helped me get my priorities in order, what is more important. You allowed me to not take those I love for granted. I've learned that there are other people far worse off than me and not to feel sorry for myself. I've made you part of my life now, because you are. I will never forget what this journey has taught me. Better days are around the corner. It won't be long and I will have the ability to soak up my children's energy and appreciate it, my health, a new head of hair, and my head held high. Cancer, thank you for the lessons. Should you someday feel the need to come back and visit me, I will be ready for you.

1 comment:

Suzy and Dustin said...

Jennifer,
This made me choke back my tears. I would cry but I am at work and didn't want to be bawling like a baby should someone step in my office! ;) The letter that lady wrote is very touching. I am so sorry for all that you have had to go through. It was very hard to watch you go through it and not be able to help you. But you have shown such amazing spirit and courage and I am so proud of you! I love you to pieces and thank God everyday for holding you close to Him. Keep fighting! Love you! Suzy